Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Designing Life

My daughter turned nine this summer.  The whole world is in front of her and she dwells in possibility every day. 

For her birthday this year - she received what I think is one of the coolest presents ever. 

One of her favorite things to do is to design clothes and put together outfits.  She has these templates that she sometimes uses...



and sometimes she draws free form on these tablets especially made for designers that a friend of mine gave her (thank you Shannon)...



This past spring, she gave my mother-in-law one of her design drawings as a present...



Here is what she then received from her grandmother for her birthday...



It even has its own designer tag.

Now, the dress is amazing and I love it, but the best part of this gift was how she took my daughter's idea and proved to her that a dream can not only move from the mind/heart to the 2 dimensional - it can ultimately move into its 3 dimensional form.  The power of this message blows me away.

It got me thinking of the ways I could continue to do this for her - or better yet - to encourage my daughter to manifest her own dreams.  AND while I'm encouraging that in her - I probably want to lead by example and figure out ways I can do this for myself - to purposefully design my life and make things happen.

The thing is, it doesn't have to always be big things - it can be buying the paint and applying it to the bathroom walls in that awesome color I saw at the hardware store, or getting on the treadmill, or finally writing and publishing that blog post I've been meaning to get to...all of these things make the ideas "real" and send the message that I want to send.

The whole world is in front of each and every one of us every day, and the possibilities are endless.  We just have to do something about it.

Lisa

2 comments:

  1. I've been WAITING for this post. I am so in awe....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a powerful message (and post)! Wow! Love this! Love your mother-in-law! Love Sophie's zest and life and dreams!

    Deb Weaver
    thewordweaver.com

    ReplyDelete